I noticed some flapping out of the corner of my eye yesterday and I turned to the far corner of my new desk and was so surprised to see such a large monarch butterfly in our makeshift habitat. We did it! We made a butterfly!
We'd brought these caterpillars (can be found on butterfly weed and/or milk weed) home from our visit to Mrs. K's (aka: Deanna) a couple weeks ago and with frequent texting (You didn't tell me how much these things poop! ) we had so much fun enjoying the process.
And some laughs. The instructions we got were to put some butterfly weed in a clear container with just a little bit of water in it and if the container is taller than the weed - no problem, the caterpillar won't crawl out.
I got an "Um" text a week plus ago. As in, um - I guess they can crawl out. (In the years she's been doing this, she swears this is the first escapee) The um text came attached to a photo of a chyrsalis on the bottom of a kitchen chair. I got home to find our own caterpillar straddling the rim of our tall container.
I shuffled it back in and rubberbanded a damp paper towel to the top of our container - poking a hole in the middle.
This morning I woke up to the second caterpillar in the chrysalis shape hanging from that paper towel. I won't be changing the water anymore.
As for this butterfly - we took a lot of pictures, and then took him across the street to share with the neighbor slash butterfly weed supplier and let him go.
We should have another one in about ten days or so.
- Greg left for Canada at 5:30 this morning. He should be home in time for supper
- Allan left for work at 6:30 this morning. They have to get all the fields painted before football practices today. He's put in some good solid hours this week.
- We're still looking for a car for Allan.
- Wendy woke up at 6am this morning. Her and the neighbor girl are hosting a neighborhood girls end of summer party. She's much more of a planner/coordinator than I ever realized. The party is at 11, and they've been outside decorating and getting ready for the last hour.
- She's a list maker like her mama. I'm so proud.
- I missed ballooning last night. I don't often miss. That addictive personality trait. I twitched mildly.
- I didn't get much creating done yesterday, but did get 7 loads of laundry on the line and another one through the dryer.
- In four minutes - the elementary school teacher lists go up - the boys and I will walk up the hill at some point today and find out their teachers/class lists.
- I need more coffee....
- be good