We left home at 5am Michigan time, and arrived in Minnesota just before 5pm Minnesota time. I hopped straight from our van into Renee's car and we headed to church where the ladies were getting things ready for the wedding.
I didn't take any pictures there. The families were all heading to Mari's house after the church, but we headed back to Renee's to eat and then to Grace's place. We hadn't seen her since Derek's wedding in the fall, and it was important that our kids got in some visiting time before the busy wedding day.
Before piling into the van to head over to Mari's - Wendy had to get a little teasing in:
"Graaaaandma - you're getting MARRIED tomooorrrroow!"
"Graaaaandma - tomorrow is your WEDDING daaaaaayyy!"
And no, those aren't real glasses.
We arrived at Mari's in plenty of time for smores. Russell and Brian
Desmond. Our nephew and Godson. He is crazy about his Uncle Greg.
Russell is really really close to passing Auntie Nicki. I predict he'll pass her by the time he starts 6th grade in the fall.
Wendy, Hallie, the neighbor girl (Kim and Tim's) and Carlie.
Hallie to Wendy: I feel short when I'm around you
Wendy: Well, I feel tall when I'm around you.
A Bonfire, smores, trampoline, visiting and mosquitoes. I left with Renee back to her house when she left to get her babies to sleep. I thought Mark was going to come with us, but he caught a second wind and took the dad ride home instead.
Settled in a cozy chair, I had a good view of Desmond peeking at me. If you look real closely above the toes, you can see his eyes between the cracks.
He managed to stay up until his buddy, Uncle Greg, got home.
When he got tucked away, we headed downstairs for a late night sauna before calling it a night.
Morning came early.
We had to be at the church by 10am for photos before the 11am wedding. so we began pushing kids out of bed at 8.
Wendy and Penny began their day playing dolls and stuffed animals.
The boys began their morning with some Pokemon challenges.
Desmond began his morning playing horsey on Uncle Greg's foot.
I began my morning making Gertie's Pannukakku (Finnish pancake) recipe - but used Gluten-free flour and Rice Dream as substitutes. It looked different - it didn't bubble up like it usually does - but it tasted very similar. It was a quick and easy breakfast for a busy morning.
And then we went to the wedding.
Back at Renee's just after two - it was my goal to get the boys in the van before any limbs were broken on the trampoline. Mark is bravely nursing a wound here, but the goal was met.
It took us awhile to find a room for the night - the big towns were all full and the rain was really starting to come down, but we lucked out with a good place to crash in Elgin. We stayed at the Marriot's Courtyard. For a few dollars extra, we bought the breakfast plan and it worked out to be a pretty good deal.
- I have to wake up Mark in a few minutes to get ready for another dentist appointment
- Greg got home from Chicago in time for bedtime stories last night
- He's pretty sure he can take tonight's karate time slot
- Wendy has her last day of soccer camp today
- Yesterday we went straight from soccer camp to Joann's and Target and stocked up on some fun supplies and projects
- Someone asked about the wet toilet paper on my van yesterday, so when I got home between soccer runs, I took the time to wash all the wet cottonwood fluff off my van.
- During that time, there was a furnace guy walking down the street, so I scheduled an estimate. We're living on borrowed time, and we know it. Now is probably a good time to think about getting it replaced - before we actually need it.